Who says girls can’t do the unusual things? The famous freestyle wrestler, Geeta Phogat was born in 15 December 1988 in Haryana, India. At the Commonwealth, Geeta is the first lady of India who won the gold medal in wrestling in 2010. And also the India’s first female wrestler who qualified for Olympic Summer Games.
- In Dec 2009, She succeeded to get a gold medal at Commonwealth Wrestling Championship which was held in Jalandhar, Punjab.
- In Commonwealth games (2010), she was the first female wrestler of India who won the gold medal. It was the event of women wrestling that took place in New Delhi. She beat Emily Bensted, female wrestler of Australia with 1-0, 7-0 score.
- She also played in Summer Olympics of 2012 at Almaty, Kazakhstan and won a gold medal.
- In the World Wrestling Championships (2012) that was held in Canada, she succeeded to get the bronze medal. In the same year, she again won the bronze medal (in 55 kg category) in Asian Wrestling Championships and beat Sumiya Erdenechimeg (female wrestler from Mongolia).
- In Commonwealth Wrestling Championships (2013), she got the silver medal in the 59 kg category. The tournament took place in Johannesburg.
- The tournament that took place in Doha, Geeta won the bronze medal in 58 kg category of freestyle wrestling.
Movie featuring her biography:
The famous Bollywood movie “Dangal” is based upon the biography of Geeta Phogat and her sisters. Fatima Sana Shaikh is the movie version of Geeta and Zaira Wasim is in the place of her younger sister. Pooja Dhanda, a wrestler, was assigned to do the role of Babita Phogat in Dangal but she couldn’t do it due to some serious injuries. Later, in national championship, Pooja defeated the senior wrestler Geeta Phogat in actual life.
So achievements of her life compel us to believe that she is the female version of “everything is possible” and She is the gem. She is an inspiration! What do you think?
To know more about India’s interesting topics, keep reading our articles!